Thursday, October 18, 2007

Motherhood 2.0


I know my entries here have been fewer and farther between...my mom friends told me this would be the case. It hasn't been that I haven't had the time to post, it's that I've chosen a nap instead. Imagine that!?

But here I sit on a rainy fall day, cozy, with a peaceful co-sleeper next to me and lots on my mind.

Being a new mom in an information age, while easier because we have so much knowledge at our fingertips is actually more challenging in my opinion. After all, our mothers didn't have a ton of books, websites, blogs, opinions, etc etc and we all eventually slept through the night or survived our vaccinations without worrying what the outcome would be a few years later! As a new mom, I feel such pressure to do things "right". Right = what the latest study shows (ie. cold medicines this week!) or what a more experienced mom friend or family member advises me to do! I defintely apprecicate the latter, but have to admit am so overwhelmed by the first. For one thing, what is wrong with good old fashioned common sense?? Why do I feel like a study of this many children proves that...or what some random website says is going to be right for my child?

All that to say I think these first few weeks of being a mom I am learning to try to relax, turn off the computer, put down the books, the articles and just listen to my instincts and my daughter. We're still adjusting to one another and her to this new and crazy world. I'm sure all of you reading this are smiling...been there, done that right? Sister in law ensures me that is the case for all of us and I will continue to question my choices and actions for the rest of motherhood. Welcome to being a mom she told me last night!

Any (more) advice!? :-)

5 comments:

Julie D. said...

NO books or websites!! I literally fed Connor EXACTLY what the paper said...if it was 1/2 tsp of peaches twice a day...i did that. yellow veggies, green veggies, orange and red...whatever it was, I did it. Hilarious, now that I look back on it. I haven't picked up one book this time. FREEDOM, i tell ya! Common sense is the best 'mommying' there is.

Julie D. said...

oh, one more thing...all you really need is that askdrsears website you have linked on the side. seriously, will save SEVERAL trips to the doctors office. love that site.

Jenny M. said...

Julie!
Isn't that a great site?? It was recommended to me by a mom of 12 so I figured it was worth a read!

Thanks for the encouragement...I need it big time.

Anonymous said...

Hi friend! Sounds like you're doing a great job! What a joy motherhood is and part of that joy is figuring out YOUR child and knowing that that is what works for you! Praying for you! Sarah

Shannon H. said...

My only wisdom for you is that NOBODY will know your daughter better than you. Nobody.

That's kinda cool isn't it?