Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Post Baby Workout Day 1

I was single until I was 30, no children until I was 31. I pretty much would come and go as I pleased, ate when and what I wanted. Living in So Cal, I could workout in the morning or the evening whether it was winter (remember those cold early mornings walking the hills Hollie?) or summer (fall and spring don't exist there, I've learned this living in a seasonal state). I didn't have to worry about ill fitting sports bras that supported my milk supply or about fitting in my workouts around nap times or nursing. The biggest struggle I had was do I fit my workouts in before or after work, do go to the posh Paseo Club of which I was a member or use the plush gym my apartment complex offered? ahhh...such were the dilemmas of the day.

Cut to today. January 2008 living in snow with an infant. You can't go outside unless it is from your warm house, to your warm car, to another warm place, hence no walks until Spring. No gym membership, no exercise equipment at my disposal and some newly shifted body parts screaming for some exercise! Just a side note, this is not written to sound negative or like I am complaining, just trying to paint the picture, set the scene of how different my life looks now days!

Yesterday, I walked down to our basement, climbed over some boxes and there it was. My box of Tae Bo VIDEOS! Sure, I had been to the best, took classes from Billy Blanks himself (shout out to Alex and Julie! and Laura ask Dan about how he almost fainted in one when he, Michelle and I went once!)but today my spoiled LA body would do this via my basement, via my VHS (seriously) and with baby in tow. What a patient girl I have (and a captive audience). I chuckled to myself as I reflected on the current situation and wondered what my former life friends would say about me in this moment. Anyway, to make this very long story short, I did it. I threw the jabs, I round house kicked and I lunged. No excuses - funny how I made many of those in the past with exercise. Olivia sat, she watched, she laughed and made a fist when I made mine.

All that to say I resolve to do this throughout the winter at least three times a week. Just me and O, Billy and the basement and my trusty VCR. No fancy equipment, no memberships and no warm weather. Needless to say, my countdown to spring has begun - when I can break out the Baby Jogger and enjoy the outdoors! I used to visit Washington and laugh at the ones wearing shorts in 55 degree weather...now I live it and I can relate. Be careful what you wish for!

4 comments:

Happy Hollie said...

I Love it Jen! I could picture you with Olivia laughing at yourself but pushing throgh. SO PROUD OF YOU! Things are different but what a blessing. Get that body back and Rock Brian's world! HOLLA!

michelle said...

ok, way too funny!!! I do remember (and have reminded Danny on a few occasions) the paramedics coming because my brother fainted at TaeBo!!!!
I haven't been to a gym in four years - I tried when Ellie was born, but too difficult and who wants to spend that much time getting ready . . . I figure I have another 4 years or so before I can join again.
Hope to see you and your little Olivia when you are here!
Michelle

Kelli said...

Jen, That was way too funny! I can totally relate. I have a treadmill at home but Ivy doesn't understand why she can't be on it at the same time so she keeps crying for me....so I got the gym membership to take her with me. Everyday I don't go, I figure the $$$out in my head, how much I am losing. Oh Well, we try don't we?

Julie D. said...

WAY to GO!! I wore shorts in 37 degree weather the other day...running...in the wind and rain. What has become of us LA girls? My friend from LA, of course, told me the other day she didn't want to 'go out' because it was too cold. How cold?...50 degrees!! come on, people. okay, so that is freakin hilarious about Dan and fainting. I'm cracking up. I almost fainted doing it. That was insane. Keep it up!