Sunday, May 3, 2009

Rome Wasn't Built in A Day...

If any of you have owned an older home and renovated it, one room at a time, you will relate to this post. Besides the biggies - marriage and motherhood, I don't think anything has stretched me as home owning has. Two and a half years ago, two starry eyed newlyweds (that'd be Bri and I) purchased our first home as husband and wife. It was a first for me and Brian's second. It was built in the mid 1960s and came complete with all it's original ammenities - gold carpet, funky mirrors, linoleum flooring, and lots of retro fun. Not even knowing what was in store we bought it and over the last few years have been fixing it up, room by room.

Today I can finally say Brian's (and maybe a little of mine) sweat equity has paid off. After long working hours to support our family, and by work I mean physical labor, he spends his weekends DIY'ing and honey-doing. He longs for the weekends of family fun and hobbies, but what can we do, this is the reality of owning an older home. These last two weekends were no exception. After nearly completing the laundry/mud room (Cali's do you know what a "mud" room is?? I never did!) he gutted our second bathroom - a slow leak from the shower turned our sub flooring into sawdust, nothing like that to get the party started! We're just about finished, but I thought I'd show you all the progress so far, I was pretty impressed! I love seeing rooms get checked off the list. It's been a process for me to get to that place and not get impatient with the lack of time and/or money it takes, but I can honestly say I would not do it any other way. Brian's wise old grandpa once reminded me, in the midst of my complaining, not to be in such a hurry to get it all done, "you'd miss out on the best years of your life", he said, I couldn't agree more.



Before - ain't she pretty??






Just about done, minus the fun stuff!

3 comments:

The Parsons' blog said...

It looks amazing! Love it!! Good work you two :) I have a long list for Sean...sigh...one day ;).

Oh, and can you believe we have the barfs?! Seriously, I just said we haven't had it. I should have kept my mouth shut. Not that I'm superstitious, but with this I kinda am, it's better not to talk about that stuff I'm thinking!!

Cherie Baker Vann said...

my jaw is open!!! it is so amazing, I absolutely LOVE it!!! Brian rocks! (and you too:) )

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness - I remember that bathroom :)....it looks amazing! Great job you two - i'm so proud of you little one (and your other half of course)!! How fun - can't wait to use that bathroom this summer...woohoo!!! miss you!